What is this plastic basin on the back of my fridge, and does it require any special care?

by user137369   Last Updated February 14, 2018 19:21 PM

While cleaning my kitchen and behind my fridge, I found this part on its back. It was filled with a moldy liquid that looked like water. I threw the liquid away and cleaned the part. I’ve added a bit of water back (not as much as it had) and put the part back in its place.

I found the manual for a similar fridge model but I see no reference to the part.

My question is what is this part for, and how should I take care of it?

Tags : refrigerator

Answers 1

That is almost certainly the drip pan, and it is intended to catch condensation flowing from the condensation/defrost drains in the fridge/freezer.
This water should just evaporate into the surrounding air over time.
Cleaning it occasionally is not a bad idea, but it is not necessary to 'replace' any of the water you may find in it.

February 14, 2018 19:07 PM

Related Questions

Frozen sprouts every time - good / bad?

Updated May 08, 2015 12:15 PM

Difference in Refrigerator models

Updated June 12, 2015 00:09 AM