Name of action of "navigating" a list

by newuxcs   Last Updated March 13, 2018 05:16 AM

Let's say you are navigating a list, grid or dropdown with the keyboard arrows. Pressing the arrows changes the temporarily "selected" item, and pressing enter selects it (a bit like the element on a webpage). Since the action of selecting the item is confirming your choice, navigating the list can't also be called "selecting".

What is the terminology for navigating and changing the state of the temporarily "selected" item without changing or saving the value? I'm struggling to find a concise term to explain the action of navigating the list. "Navigate with the arrow keys" doesn't seem like the right word and doesn't seem to be very well understood, and "Change the temporarily selected item with the arrow key" is way too long.

Related Questions

What is the name of this moveable multiselect list?

Updated March 31, 2016 08:06 AM

How to display a checkbox modal

Updated March 07, 2018 01:16 AM

UI for selecting multiple records with multiple cases

Updated December 25, 2016 08:06 AM